Ann (soru) wrote in bunnyowners,

Advice for bunny with emergency condition?

Hi everyone!

This week has been stressful for me and my 5 1/2 year old MiniRex, Hayden. Monday night I took him to the animal hospital for GI Stasis. He spent a night in the hospital. Then he spent another two days at at our regular exotics vet on IV fluids, Metacam, and Reglan.

He's still in GI Stasis, but he's eating hay and while still not quite normal, he's at least going to the bathroom more than he was before. I took him to the vet yesterday morning and she said he was doing okay and to keep giving him the medications. My boyfriend asked them to do bloodwork just in case there was an underlying cause. I'm waiting on a phone call for the results. Edit: My vet did call about an hour ago. I didn't hear my phone, but she left a message that his blood panels are normal, but he has a higher white count, so she's going to prescribe antibiotics, which she says I only need to fill if he seems to be declining.

Last night, he developed a tick where he's bobbing his head, but he's otherwise behaving totally normal. So I took him back to the animal hospital last night and they said he has tachycardia (abnormally fast heartrate), probably caused by some food pressing on his chest from the GI Stasis -- this was their guess, they said they didn't actually know. They wanted $2k to treat him.

Both times I've been to this hospital, I've felt extremely uncomfortable. Both doctors were accusatory and said this only happens if you overfeed your rabbit and don't give him enough exercise. I explained that Hayden spends plenty of time out of his cage and the exotics vet reported he was thin because of the GI Stasis. The doc said that might be true, but his body fat qualifies him as obese. I can understand their concern because I'm sure they see it all the time, but I assure you I'm not in denial and if my vet had informed me of this and asked me to take steps, I would be happy to comply. But he's the doctor so I asked him what I should do for the weight and he I KID YOU NOT, told me to chase my tachycardiac rabbit around the room to encourage him to exercise. Which, I'm not a rocket scientist, but I'm pretty sure that raising an already high heart rate is a recipe for disaster. There was no way I was letting this guy treat my pet.

I felt like I was at a stalemate with them. So I asked them to prescribe something for pain because the Metacam seems to wear off at night and took him home.

tl;dr My bunny is recovering from GI Stasis and last night developed Tachycardia. The doctor at the animal hospital wanted to do $2k worth of tests and were giving me information I didn't trust so I asked for a pain med and brought him home.

If his condition gets any worse, I will take him to another 24 hour animal hospital tonight, but if he's stable, I'll wait and take him to my regular vet in the morning as soon as she opens.

But I wanted to post here and ask if anyone has any experience with tachycardia in their rabbit and could share their story with me?
Tags: emergency
  • Post a new comment


    Comments allowed for members only

    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded